- Stewardship Lives at First Church
- Board of Trustees
- Pastoral Care
- Weddings and Rites of Passage
- Resources, Policies, and Forms
- Give us your feedback
- Achievements under Vision 2010
- Member's Calendar
- Spread the Word!
- Ministers and Staff
- Adult Programs and Classes
- News & Events
- Groups and Committees
- First Church History
- Mission Statement
- LBGT Welcoming Congregation
- Music and the Arts
- Especially for Families
- Internet Links
- Child Care Information for Parents
- CHILDREN & TEENS
- Children's RE from A to Z
- Teen Programming and Religious Education
- First Sunday Activities for K5-7 Grades
- Social Action Projects for Children/Teens
- UNICEF Sunday!
- Food Packing for Hunger Relief
- Holiday Giving Tree
- Kids to Vote for May Partner Organization
- Mission Trip
- RE Forms
- Welcoming Children into the Sanctuary
- SOCIAL JUSTICE
- Social Justice Council
- Common Ground
- Earth Justice Ministry
- Economic Justice
- First Friday Films
- McLaughlin Social Justice Initiatives
- Share the Plate
- Social Justice Council Action Groups
- Unitarian Universalist Service Committee
You are hereHome ›
An Evening with Jim Scott
The Economic Justice Committee is pleased to announce the 2013
“Just Music” benefit concert …
An Evening with Jim Scott
Composer, guitarist and singer Jim Scott brings a warmth and humor with his well-crafted jazz and world music influenced songs. Proceeds from the concert will benefit the Latino Arts Strings Program.
About the Concert:
- When: Friday night, April 12 at 7:00 p.m.
- Where: First Church
- Tickets: $12 per person, $5 for children under 12
About the Latino Arts Strings Program:
The Latino Arts Strings Program is a quality in-school and after-school music education program for students of Bruce-Guadalupe Community School and its graduates. More than 90% of the participants of the program are Hispanic youth from low-income homes, ages 6-18, who may otherwise never have an opportunity to receive instruction in violin, viola, cello and guitar. The program builds self-confidence, discipline, and focus that transcends musical instruction and benefits participants’ academic prowess.
More About Jim:
Formerly a member of the Paul Winter Consort, Jim was co-composer of their celebrated “Missa Gaia/Earth Mass” and sang their anthem song “Common Ground.” He has toured the world, recorded a number of CDs of original music and published a growing line of choral works, including “Gather The Spirit” and several other popular songs from the UU Hymn book. A co-creator of the “Green Sanctuary” program for churches to become more sustainable, Jim also compiled the “Earth and Spirit Songbook,” an anthology of over 100 songs of earth and peace.
For questions, more information, and to purchase tickets in advance, please email Alexis Fielek at alexis [dot] fielekyahoo [dot] com or Nick Davia at nicholas_daviayahoo [dot] com.